How stressful is a child’s photo session for parents? For some, VERY stressful! Just getting them dressed and to the session on time makes everyone a little cranky. And then the internal concerns begin. I can see it on the parent’s face. Did I dress him right? Will he smile? Will he misbehave and make me look like a bad parent? Fortunately, this stress dissipates quickly once the session begins. Children are unpredictable. Photo sessions with children are similarly unpredictable. Sometimes a happy child makes for an easy session. Sometimes it takes a little longer. Sometimes the photographer has to get really creative. A photographer who specializes in children’s photography understands, adapts, does whatever it takes and loves the results of their hard work.
How to Prepare for a Successful Photo Session
- Pick comfortable clothing for your young child (birth-3 yrs) and favorite clothing for a school aged child (4 yrs-high school senior).
- Make sure they’re well rested. Even the teenagers.
- Bring a treat to offer if the child cooperates. Yes, a bribe. I call it a ” personal motivation tool.”
- Bring their favorite toy or blanket. Inside family jokes work great for teenagers.
- Relax. (This is the hard part.) Once you’re relaxed, your child will too.
- Have fun! I’m going to have fun. Your child will have fun. You should too!